Sunday, May 08, 2005

Día feliz de Madre, Fête Des Mères heureuse, Glücklichen Muttertag, Festa della Mamma felice, Glad Mors Dag, and Happizzy my Momsizzy’s dizzy in the hizzy, Torn Slatterns and Nugget Ranchers

Ann Caroline was as excited about making her Mom's day a good one as she was about her own birthday or Christmas. What a great Stinker we have there.

In case you didn’t know it, Slats and Nugs, life is not fair. Case-in-point: Today, due to a vigorous iPod induced workout yesterday, I have, as they call it in Texas, a slight hitch in my get-along. Nothing serious, mind you, just a tweak. Here is the unfair part: it is the exact same spot of scar tissue from a long jump injury THIRTY YEARS AGO.

All of my significant sports injuries are now coming back around to visit, all at once. The torn outside left hamstring from my Senior year in high school that essentially dogged my sports performances forever continues to trouble even during jogs. My back is dodgy from a college high jump wrenching. My neck is stiff from an injury incurred while blocking with my head in high school football. Recently I tweaked my elbow from an old pole vault pit landing injury and my shoulder from an old javelin strain while snowboarding.

And I have been really lucky - knock on wood - when it comes to injuries.

And if all of that wasn’t enough, today my head hurts from a concussion I got playing football my freshman year. (Yeah, that’s probably it. I’m sure it had nothing to do with all of the Makers Mark and sodas you drank before, during and after the Kentucky Derby, yesterday, you idiot)

No, inner tirade, I’m pretty sure it’s the old concussion. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Giacomo? Maybe those Eastern racing snobs won’t ignore the fine critters from the Santa Anita Derby anymore?

Derby Trivia Time:
Here is today’s trivia question – now that I’ve sweated out the majority of the Maker’s at the gym and steam bath and can actually think.

How do you pronounce where they hold the Kentucky Derby? Is it Lew-ee-ville or Lou-ah- vull?

The correct pronunciation is Churchill Downs.

Oh, I kill me. An oldie but a goody.

A Church in Massachusetts has a service for dogs and their owners. How does that work in the confessional?

“Forgive him Father for Scooter has sinned: he barked the Lord’s name in vain, he humped a leg other than his owners, and, if I were you, I’d get the janitor to come in here with Lysol and a mop.”