Monday, July 19, 2004

Somebody up and pimped our ride, Torn Slatterns and Nugget Ranchers
 
How hot is it?
*It has been hot. I’m sweating like George W. Bush trying to tell Dick Cheney he’s getting dumped.
 
I tell ya, I’m sweating like Courtney Love’s publicist.
 
I’m sweating like John Kerry’s barber.
 
It’s been hot in California. I’m sweating like Laker G.M. Mitch Kupchak explaining the Shaq Miami Heat trade to Laker owner Jerry Busse.
 
Zay Tour de Fraaaaaaahnze
*Don’t you love the Tour de France British announcers Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin? At one point, Sherwin described a struggling rider as being “in a spot of bother.” And here I thought a spot of bother was on Monica’s blue dress. 
 
Sherwin described a beet-red, tongue-wagging exhausted rider as “being in a spot of bother.” These guys would describe a train wreck as “a rather untidy arrival.”
 
Cinderella boy, tears in his eyes, I guess
*During the ABC broadcast of the British Open, announcer Mike Tirico, describing unknown winner Todd Hamilton, used the “Caddy Shack” words tears-in-his eyes and Cinderella story. The only thing that was missing was a dancing gopher and Judge Schmales. 
 
It’s a good thing
*Martha Stewart has been sentenced to six months in prison. Martha is getting ready. Today Martha traded her silverware grape shears and asparagus tongs for ten cartons of cigarettes and a snake neck tattoo.
 
Martha will be the first person in prison to have a shiv made from sterling-silver. 
 
Were Brandy and Chrystal taken?
*The Bush twin daughters have joined the Bush campaign. It was announced their Secret Service codenames are "Twinkle” and "Turquoise”. Twinkle and Turquoise? Somewhere there are two strippers who need a new name.
 
Twinkle and Turquoise? Are they in charge of securing that all-important Hooker voting block?
 
Love to love you, baby
*Courtney Love was back in court in Los Angeles. Courtney spends more time in courts and hospitals than entire soap opera casts.
 
Courtney Love spends so much time in court and hospitals, she isn’t a singer, she’s a bad soap opera: Join us for “Days of Our Bold and Restless Courtney Love.”
 
Getting there
*The Olympics is three weeks away. You can tell it’s getting close; at the Greek construction sites, the workers are almost done setting up their lawn chairs for the work breaks.
 
Hans and Franz
*California lawmakers are upset that Arnold Schwarzenegger referred to them as “girlie-men.” In fact, one San Francisco legislator was so shocked when he heard Arnold’s girlie-man remark, he coughed out his Cosmopolitan all over his evening gown.
 
What a shock
Islamic militants rioted at Palestinian government offices after Yasser Arafat appointed a relative as security chief. No shocker there.  Palestine has to be the first state where everyone qualifies for a Zoloft prescription.
 
What a whimp
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will compete Sunday in a NASCAR race in New Hampshire, despite suffering burns to his legs and face in a fiery wreck last weekend. Remember this the next time you call in sick to work because you’re hung-over.
 
Since you asked;
 
On the drive up to Santa Barbara for a U.C.S.B. based- Decathlete and Heptathlete reunion and surprise birthday party for our legendary track coach, Sam Adams, right before I got into Montecito, as the great memories were really flooding in, the Green Day song “Time of Your Life’' came on a Santa Barbara F.M. station. It made me all heavy-throated and misty.
 
Although I love my family to pieces, I really like what I do and where I live, how can you beat living in Santa Barbara and training with the best coach and the best people on the planet when you are young and indestructible? You can’t. No complaints now –well, not many anyway- but it just doesn’t get any better than that. We were amazingly blessed at the prime of our lives. How many can say that?
 
The reunion and the U.C.S.B Alumni golf tournament could not have been better – and for me to say that about golf is tantamount to someone raving over a gum scraping. Santa Barbara was as gorgeous as I ever remembered (picture the one who broke your heart) and we laughed all weekend until our sides hurt. In addition to golf, I ran, rode my bike and swam in the Ocean. And yes, on Friday night, I drank my face off in a classic State street pub-crawl that made me feel twenty years younger. (Until the next morning when it made me feel twenty years older)
 
When it was finally time to leave, a truly bittersweet moment, as soon as I was on the 101 Ventura Freeway, as if eerily on cue, the song “Time of Your Life” came on again. This time I got a little more than misty.
 
“It’s something unpredictable, but in the end it’s right. I hope you had the time of your life.”
 
I sure did.
 
Here are the rest of the lyrics:
 
Another turning point a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist directs you where to go
So make the best of this test and don't ask why It's not a question but a lesson learned in time
 
Chorus
It's something unpredictable but in the end It's right I hope you've had the time of your life
 
So take the photographs and still frames in your mind Hang it on a shelf in good heath and good time Tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial For what it's worth it was worth all the while
 
Chorus
It's something unpredictable but in the end It's right I hope you've had the time of your life 
 
Here's hoping you had the time of your life, Slats and Nugs.
 
Hey, look what I can do now. Don't worry, I promise I won't make it too fancy.
 
http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/