Wednesday, January 01, 2003



Happy New Year, Torn Slatterns and Nugget Ranchers

Or, as our friend Wally would put it, Happrahgee Newrah Yourah. (Did I mention that our friend Wally was a bit tetched?)

As we sprechen sie, Notre Dame is getting their butts kicked by North Carolina State. What was Notre Dame thinking scheduling a game for New Year's Day? Everyone knows that the fighting Irish are generally badly hungover on New Year's Day. Did I mention that one of my New Year's Resolutions is to not be politically correct?

Feeling a tad smug. Turns out our New Year's Eve was pretty awesome after all. At our house, we ring in the New Year here in San Diego the way you should, at Nine P.M., 12 Eastern. As we all learned so clearly after September 11th, this is one country, and our country starts its New Years on the East Coast. (Plus, our four-year-old daughter can enjoy it that way )

Anyway, we dined on king crab legs and California champagne while we listened to Cole Porter. That, as the great Max Von Stock from Colonial Westfield New Jersey would say, does not suck, my friends. Then, as I mentioned, at Nine P.M, my daughter led us - me, my wife, and our two adorably crazed yellow Labradors, Kasey and Wrigley - in a deliriously fun pot-banging parade around the house. (OK, so it wasn't a naked French champagne/ whipped cream bath with super models, it was still pretty damn good)

Then we watched the possibly all time funniest movie; "Some Like it Hot." My favorite line? There are too many, but it might be the hiding-in-drag Jack Lemmon, Daphne, drinking with Sugar, Marilyn Monroe, in the train sleeping-car berth, saying; "Maybe later I'll turn this into a surprise party."

And then:

Sugar: What's the surprise?
Daphne: Uh, unh. Not yet.
Sugar: When?
Daphne: Better have a drink first.
Sugar: That'll put hair on your chest.
Daphne: No fair guessing.

And this one:

(Dirty old rich guy) Osgood: You must be quite a girl.
Daphne: Wanna bet?

And then later:

(Curtis) Joe: What are you talking about? You can't marry Osgood!
(Lemmon) Jerry: You think he's too old for me?