Saturday, April 01, 2006

Saturday morning caffeine fueled rant

Y’all ain’t gonna believe what happened. Somebody in the Washington, DC has been monitoring my blog and, long story short, a guy in the White House – no lie, the White Freakin’ House - was checking on Dick Cheney jokes on the Google, saw my stuff, passed it on and, well, for three months starting in May, I am going to be writing one liners for Dick Cheney and his staff for their speeches.

Can you believe that? Can you freakin’ believe that? Three months at the Ritz Carleton with an expense account, a driver, an assistant and tickets to any and all National games and a hefty pay check. I am still in shock. I will try to update the blog but, from what I understand, they are going to be working me pretty hard.

Oh, and happy April 1, 2006.

The grilled crab quesadillas with mango and avocado relish were amazing. My daughter said something I don’t think I had said at her age:

“I really love it with the fresh mangos.”

Great day. Saw “Crash” last night. Wow, wow, and wow. Sort of expected another Hollywood self-indulgent “Grand Canyon” view from the elite Pacific Palisades suburban left, but nobody got off easy in this amazing L.A. culture clash. The movie ripped bandages off the bigots who wallow in their belief in stereotypes as well as the minorities who slink down to cause those stereotypes. It shows that all people are capable of great pettiness, evil and hatred as well as redemption, greatness and nobility.

Matt Dillon’s stock soared in this movie. The toughest job to pull off in a movie is to make people hate you and then get them to feel empathy. (Think Allister Sims in “Christmas Carol.”) Sandra Bullock also did a great job as the snotty and bored angry soccer mom type and we feel her humanity at the end. Although some parts of the movie start to seem predictable, but trust me, like life, nothing goes the easy or sappy way. Cheadle was amazing.

Today I went for a great run on a cool day. Perfect day to watch sports all day, Lefty Phil putting on a clinic and the Cubs and Pads and then the awesome, awesome NCAA. Perfect time to try my Pulled Pork recipe, as it takes four hours on the grill.

GO UCLA!