Sunday, December 19, 2010

It was December, 23rd, 2003 and I had the flu. Bad. Normally we didn’t leave the TV on during dinner, but I overruled that because I wanted to take my mind off how miserable I was and try and keep down the chicken soup I was eating.

It was “Monday Night Football” Green Bay versus the Oakland Raiders and Brett Favre’s dad had passed away the day before. Green Bay receiver after receiver made circus catch after circus catch playing their lives out for Favre. Ann Caroline was only five, but she was all ears because she was at the age where she was fascinated with death. I was worried she might get upset as they kept talking about Irvin Favre’s passing the day before.

Right then, the announcer, Al Michaels, says;

“As if this situation with Brett’s Dad, Irvin, passing wasn’t bad enough, it happened right before Christmas.”

There was a pause and then Ann Caroline asked me:


“Will the angels make sure Brett’s Favre’s dad gets his presents in heaven?”



Merry Christmas Slats and Nugs.