Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The headline reads “Hagel Resigns as Defense Secretary.” Didn’t Katherine just start that show?

How amazing was that three-fingered catch by New York Giant, Odell Beckham? I could not catch the Ebola virus with three fingers.

All the teams in the NFC South are below .400. In the NFC South, the NFC stands for Nobody Freaking Cares.


I’m starting to think BuzzFeed is running out of things to list. Today they had a list of ten women in Hollywood who were not molested by Bill Cosby.

Celebrities are weighing in on Ferguson. Because when I want an opinion on a complicated judicial ruling, I want it to come from someone who quit high school to perform.


A sidebar in “Entertainment Weekly” showed how an anaconda can eat a human being and that process is not pleasant. It’s not as bad as going on a date with Bill Cosby, but it is not pleasant.

Since you asked:
That freak-show catch by the New York Giants’ Odell Beckham reiterated one of the real positives about the NFL today.
With so many negatives popping up in the NFL, domestic violence, child abuse, DUI’s, drug use and extensive brain trauma in retired players, Roger Goodell, too many commercials, too many penalties, there is one huge positive:
The level of athleticism has never been higher.
You have a defensive lineman in J.J. Watt who is 6.5, 290, who can catch balls with one hand. A six foot nothing, 35-year-old QB, Drew Brees, dunking a ball on the ten-foot goalpost. Brees was matched up against Olympic archers in an accuracy contest and beat them all.  
How many duck-throwers like Joe Kapp and Bobby Douglass and Tim Tebow, are in the league? None.
Running backs are faster than ever and weigh 230 pounds. The vast majority in the NFL today are between 230 pounds and 300 pounds and they are fit as hell.
They showed a 255-pound linebacker, Clay Mathews III, warming up before the game. He rattled off 50 push ups and then ran 50 yards almost full speed ten times. That is a warm up.
There are some bad teams in the NFL. The Jacksonville Jaguars are a bad team. But there are no bad athletes in the NFL.
How hard is it to make an NFL team? Chase Coffman won the John Mackey award at Missouri for best college tight end. He was cut by three teams before landing with the Tennessee Titans. He had five catches total for 2014 before going crazy last week.

How hard is it to play quarterback in the NFL? Eli Manning has two Super Bowl rings, a Super Bowl MVP and, this year, he is a punch line to jokes.

Love the little stand up routine Richard Sherman pulled at the expense of the NFL. He is a smart and funny guy.

But apparently not smart enough to figure out for whom he works. 

The NFL is a giant corporation. If I was writing for "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" and I held a press conference to make fun of NBC, and mock them as hypocrites?  I am certain I would find my things in a box when I went back to my office. 

What if NBC held a press conferance and asked me to speak? If I blew it off, ala Marshawn Lynch, I would be fired. If then I gave one syllable answers, I would be fired. 

The NFL fined Lynch $100,000. He is currently in the middle of a four-year $30 mil. contract. I'm not an accountant, but I think $100,000 from $30 million is still a lot of money.