Saturday, June 11, 2005

Caffiene fueled Saturday rant:

Just saw my daughter’s first soccer game at a soccer tournament. You know how things are either bigger or smaller than you think they’ll be? I pictured a Norman Rockwell picnic and walked into the Olympic Games.

It was huge. Nobody knows how many teams and fields. Vendors, police, security guards. Games as far as the eye could see. It reminded me of the hospital scene in “Gone with the Wind” Cut to: wounded soldier on the ground. Pan out to more wounded soldiers until finally there are thousands and thousands.

What am I getting into here? Somehow I feel like one of those guys who joined the Army because he wanted to be the sword-fighting-the-dragon-guy and ends up face down in the mud in an obstacle course with a drill sergeant foot on his butt insulting him in new and disgustingly creative ways.

But, I will admit it was fun. The parents seem really nice and funny, the kids played hard and had a blast and played well. It really doesn’t matter what the score was.

(Psst, our girls destroyed them 5 to 2. Ann Caroline was a veritable force on defense)

Had a rare boys-night-out last night. It was fun, but I am really, really glad I had that last margarita because that is what I needed more than anything.

Good lord I am an idiot.